I read a little article about foods that experts avoid at all costs, and one that immediately caught my eye was microwave popcorn.
I love popcorn, it’s my favorite snack, and much healthier than chips and crackers because it’s high in fiber and relatively low in calories and fat. BUT NOT MICROWAVE BRANDS.
The problem is the plastic lining of the microwave bags. When heated the plastic vaporizes and gets all over your popcorn. The chemicals in the plastic are dangerous, and have a cumulative effect, in other words, the harmful chemicals and hormones in the plastic build up in your body and start causing damage after awhile.
Some of the damage it is linked to is infertility, as well as liver, testicular, and pancreatic cancer.
Okay, I love popcorn, and I love the quick production of it, (about three minutes in the microwave) and I have come up with this solution:
I bought an air popper. I let it pop into one of those big metal bins you get flavored popcorn in at the holidays. I fill the bin in about three minutes, which is the same amount of time the microwave takes.
Now, I know what you’re going to say: “Yeah, but you can’t get salt to stick to air popped corn!” So I found a way. I buy Parkay Butter-flavored Spray, which is essentially salt water, and use that on my popped corn. It’s fat free, with no more sodium than you would get by salting your popcorn.
So I get my high fiber, non-fat popcorn snack with no vaporized chemicals all over it!
Can you say: CRUNCH?
My source of information about microwave popcorn bags: Expert: Olga Naidenko PhD (Senior scientist for the Environmental Working Group)